Don’t Lose Your Head- Get Acupuncture After Head Trauma
What is a Concussion?
Concussion is a brain injury caused by a minor blow to the head or by violent shaking of the head and may or may not include loss of consciousness. Temporary cognitive signs and symptoms may be noticeable. These cognitive symptoms may persist or worsen with Post-Concussion Syndrome or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI).
Cognitive Signs/ Symptoms of Concussion
- Dilated pupils (do not go to sleep before being screened)
The first 48 hours are important to keep a watchful eye.
High Risk Concussions
- History of Head trauma (includes unconscious and conscious)
- Worsening headache (blood clot risk)
- Consecutive traumas to the head in short period of time (Second Impact Syndrome can be fatal)
- Could include being jolted on a ride, hitting head in sports or automobile accident.
Most with concussions do not become unconscious.
Acupuncture Can Help After Concussion or Mild TBI with…
When to See a Doctor
- Memory loss
- Difficulty concentrating
- Loss of smell
- Double vision
- Light sensitivity
- Change in appetite
- Personality change/ Emotional change, i.e., Apathy
(further testing may be needed to rule out other issues and avoid further damage)
Home Care for Concussion
- Increase Rest & Sleep
- Lower Stress (meditation can help)
- Avoid hitting/ jarring head again
- Avoid alcohol and refined sugars as this stresses the body
- Supplement with vitamin C and fish oil (after checking with doctor)
- The CDC website has great concussion resources for parents of high school students
- Facebook has a Minnesota Concussion Support Group
- Book by Michael Lewis, MD, “When Brains Collide: What Every Athlete and Parent Should Know About The Prevention and Treatment of Concussions and Head Injuries.”
Be gentle and kind to yourself by getting extra rest and not taking on too much while recovering from head trauma; your body and brain are trying to heal and need your help.
Written by Aleesha Ackerman, LAc
Aleesha Ackerman, LAc is a licensed acupuncturist who owns and operates Aleesha D Acupuncture in Anoka, MN. She suffered with the chronic pain of migraine headaches after a semi-truck collision in high school and, years later became passionate about acupuncture after it cured her of years of daily headache pain.
Aleesha specializes in treating headaches, chronic pain, digestive upset and Women’s health in Anoka. Patients see Aleesha for relief from hot flashes, mood imbalance, low energy and low libido during Perimenopause, Menopause and due to Thyroid imbalance, including Auto Immune Hashimoto’s Hypothyroidism and Grave’s Hyperthyroidism.
Call 763-762-7142 or Schedule online now for an acupuncture appointment.
This article is not intended to replace any health care. No information on this site should be relied on to determine medical diagnosis or treatment for a medical condition. As with any health concerns, always be sure to consult your health care provider with any health concerns.
Licensed Acupuncturist in Anoka Serving Andover, Anoka, Big Lake, Champlin, Circle Pines, Columbus, Coon Rapids, Dayton, East Bethel, Elk River, Forest Lake, Fridley, Ham Lake, Isanti, Lino Lakes, Maple Grove, Minneapolis, Now Then, Oak Grove, Osseo, Ostego, Ramsey, Saint Francis, Saint Paul, Shoreview, Spring Lake Park, Vadnais Heights and White Bear Lake.
Zip codes we treat: 55304, 55303, 55309, 55014, 55316, 55433, 55448, 55327, 55330, 55432, 55040, 55401, 55402, 55403, 55404, 55406, 55407, 55408, 55409, 55410, 55411, 55412, 55413, 55416, 55418, 55419, 55421, 55422, 55011, 55311, 55369, 55102, 55103, 55104, 55105, 55106, 55107, 55108, 55101, 55109, 55110, 55111, 55113, 55114, 55116, 55117, 55120, 55124, 55125, 55115, 55118, 55119, 55121, 55122, 55123, 55126, 55129, 55130, 55146, 55127, 55128, 55133, 55144, 55145, 55155, 55164, 55165, 55166, 55166, 55168, 55170, 55175, 55187, 55188, 55171, 55172, 55014, 55025, 55371, 55398, 55308, 55960
Serving Anoka County, the north metro, Minneapolis, St Paul, and the Twin Cities area.
https://www.anokaacupuncture.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Acupuncture-After-Head-Trauma.jpg 800 800 aleeshadacupuncture https://www.anokaacupuncture.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/AleeshaD-Acupuncture-Anoka-MN-Logo-White-Background.png aleeshadacupuncture2018-05-14 09:00:302019-02-01 21:40:29Acupuncture After Head Trauma, Concussion and TBI (Pain and Women's Health in Anoka)