Cacao Coconut Snowballs Healthy Snack Recipe
(Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Paleo, No refined sugar)
Sweetened with dates for crash-free energy you can take on your hike or bike ride!
Did You Know? Dates are great for weening yourself off of refined sugars as they are natural and satisfy the sweet tooth!…
Too much sugar breaks down collagen (causing wrinkles and other issues With your tissues).
1/2 Cup Pecans*
16 Dates, Whole, pitted*
1/2 Cup Coconut, shredded, unsweetened
1 Tablespoon Coconut oil, unrefined*
1 1/2 Tablespoons Cacao powder*
1 pinch kosher salt
1 Tablespoon Water
1. Place all pecans in food processor and pulse til chopped.
2. Place half of coconut in small bowl. Set aside.
3. Add the remaining ingredients to food processor and run until mixed and combined well.
4. Spoon out mixture, rolling into balls.
5. Coat each ball in other half of coconut shreds.
6. Place onto parchment paper, on baking sheet and refrigerate for thirty minutes or until hardened.
7. Store in the fridge in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to a week.
*Nut Allergy? Replace Pecans with Sunflower seeds.
*I buy unrefined Coconut oil at Costco. This supply will last you a while.
Health tip: “Unrefined” is what you want for consumption, as it has not had all the goodness cooked out of it.
*I buy medjool dates at Costco. These dates are superior to others for making desserts (sweeter, Caramel-like taste). They are a much better deal there. Medjool dates can be spendy so if you need a lot, it’s worth a trip there.
Health tip: Dates are low on glycemic index so they won’t spike blood sugar and are a good fiber source which helps metabolize carbohydrates. Keep them in the fridge, once opened. They keep for about a week.
*I buy organic, raw cacao powder from Costco as it is a good buy there.
Health tip: Cacao is different from Cocoa as it has not had the antioxidants processed/cooked out of it. It has a fair amount of Magnesium which is important for energy, metabolism, mood and for keeping pretty much everything running smoothly in the body.